Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Overtreated

There isn't much going on today. I am waiting to hear from Amazon.com about a transition interview. Once That happens, I will be working full time. I did go to the library and I checked out a book called Overtreated; Why Too Much Medicine Is Making Us Sicker And Poorer, by Shannon Brownlee. It talks about health care being so expensive, that 1 out of 6 Americans don't have insurance, how the health care system overtreats which puts patient's lives in danger, and how they undertreat and kill patients. In the introduction a 12-year old boy dies from a brain infection that started out as a rotten tooth. His mother couldn't find a dentist that would take Medicaid payments so the little boy died. The extraction was going to cost $80, but she couldn't afford it, but it cost the District of Columbia $250,000 for the boy being in the hospital with the brain infection. This happened in 2007! I don't know the whole background to this story, but no matter what it is, it is really horrible.
I said in my last blog I was going to read Reasonable Faith, but my brain was hurting from the last book, so I thought I would take a rest.

No comments:

 
Free Advertising